I got my name in lights with notcelebrity.co.uk

Thursday, 30 August 2007

Wikis

Hi all

Well finally I get back to the final week so that I can complete my 23 things. So Wikis ..... The thing I like about them is that everyone can contribute to building up an idea. The thing I don't like is that if everyone can get in there and change things about then that means they can delete what others have done and say whatever they like - a bit like on Wikipedia!! There sort of needs to be a way to preserve what has gone before but let it be added to .... suppose that could get very messy though? I suppose I'm looking for a happy medium between a Wiki and a Blog.

Personally what I'm most interested in is the idea of incorporating Wiki software into the Library Catalogue. I think it would be extremely useful to be able to build up comments on particular books and items in the catalogue. This would provide more information to let people know whether that item is going to be what they are looking for or not. I hope that this functionality comes soon to our library catalogue .............

I also like the ideas of building subject guides using a Wiki and allowing people to comment on their favourite books. In our Academic library this could be used by the students to talk about and rate books that are good for particular assignments. This would help future students.

On to the next "thing" so

Miaow for now
Jacky

No comments: