I got my name in lights with notcelebrity.co.uk

Monday, 6 August 2007

Library 2.0

What do I think of this...................... Need you ask?! I love it. I think it means social networking in the new technological environment we now find ourselves. I think it's all about discovery, sharing, networking, collaborating, learning the list goes on. What concerns and interests me a lot at the moment however is the amount of places that are blocking access to Web 2.0 and Library 2.0 technologies. Libraries have always been about making content and learning available to the public without censorship. Isn't blocking sites such as these censorship? Why does is the Palmerston North Public Library unable to provide access for staff and customers to these technologies? How are people meant to learn and grow and contribute to society if they don't have the opportunity to experiment? What about those people who do not have access to a computer at home so need to access these things in a public place? Won't we be disadvantaging them if we block their access? I will gracefully climb down from my soap box now with my tail in the air. This is the way of the future - lets embrace it.

Miaow for now
Jacky

No comments: